Artificial insemination is the process of inseminating a mare using fresh, chilled or frozen semen. Having your mare regularly monitored with ultrasound scans of the uterus and ovaries can help determine the optimal time for insemination and determine the success of the venture.
ADVANTAGES OF ARTIFICIAL INSEMINATION
- The mare and stallion do not come into contact thereby reducing the risk of injuries.
- Reduces the risk of sexually transmitted disease.
- Limitless genetic scope with the use of frozen semen from high profile national or international stallions.
- Allows mares to be bred without the risk of travel - especially aged or injured mares.
- Semen evaluation at the time of insemination
- Prevents stallion over use.
- Facilitates breeding of mares with reproductive problems.
- Enables breeding of ‘shy’ mares who may not show to a stallion or who become overly protective of a foal
- Allows mares to be bred at the optimal time for conception.
- Using frozen semen allows genetic use of a stallion long after his death.